My profession is incredibly meaningful to me. It allows me to not only improve the health and appearance of my patients’ smiles, but also to positively affect their overall self-esteem and quality of life.
It’s such a rewarding experience to give my patients the gift of a beautiful, healthy smile. Seeing the confidence and joy that a new smile can bring is incredibly fulfilling, and makes all of the hard work and dedication I put into my profession truly worthwhile.
I am constantly inspired by the impact I can make, and I am grateful for the opportunity to serve my patients in this way.
My Core Values
My core values influence every aspect of my practice, from how I interact with each patient to choosing staff members who share my philosophy.
- Improving Patients’ Smiles: Seeing the transformation of a patient’s smile from start to finish is one of the most rewarding aspects of my job. It’s incredibly fulfilling to help someone achieve the beautiful, healthy smile they’ve always wanted, and I find meaning in being the person who helps them achieve this.
- Building Relationships: Working with patients over the course of their treatment gives me the opportunity to form close, personal relationships with them. Every patient has their own unique story and I love learning about them and interacting with them. I love being a part of their journey to a better smile.
- Making a Positive Impact: Orthodontics is more than just straightening teeth. It’s about improving a person’s overall health, self-esteem, and quality of life. I feel privileged to play a role in making such a positive impact on my patients’ lives.
- Continual Learning: Orthodontics is a constantly evolving field, and I love the challenge of staying up to date on the latest advances and techniques. I am always learning and growing as a practitioner, and this helps me provide the best possible care to my patients.
My Education and Experience
I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, where I lived right next door to my childhood orthodontist. He and his staff made my experience so much fun and ultimately inspired me to pursue orthodontics as a career.
I graduated from Duke University with B.S. in biology, making me a lifelong Duke fan through and through! I continued my education at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill Dental School, where I earned my Doctorate of Dental Surgery with honors and distinction. In order to specialize in orthodontics, I completed my orthodontic residency and Master of Dental Science at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis.
My time outside the office is focused on my family. You may meet my wife Amy at the front office, where she takes care of marketing, answering phones, and helping with technology.
Our son Parker plans to attend Eastern Kentucky University to pursue a career in aviation. He enjoys biking and is an Eagle Scout. Carter is a sophomore at Spotswood High School and plays baseball. He’s finishing his Eagle Scout project this year.
I would be remiss not to mention our three Golden Retrievers, Duke (named for Duke University), Billy (named for St. Louis University, where my wife went to school), and Yeti (loosely named for Yadier Molina-Yeti Bear).
When I get the chance, I enjoy going to JMU football games, watching Duke basketball, working out, and traveling to the beach.
In the Community
Being active in the community is vitally important to me. I love sharing my passions and connections with our community. By participating in community events and initiatives, I have had the opportunity to form close relationships with others in our community, while taking an active role in shaping the places where we live and work.
- Past Cub Scout pack leader and committee chair
- Fundraising chair of the Lions Club in Harrisonburg
- Spotswood Country Club volunteer swim coach and board member